Saturday, August 04, 2007

God's power over stupidity

As some of you may know from previous posts, I've been looking for a new apartment. Last Friday I gave up on finding a place available by the time my sublet ended on July 31st. Instead signed a lease for a place close to the Church starting on August 28th and began looking for another short term sublet. Cutting it a bit close, but I've still got time. I then started packing up some stuff and came across my sublet agreement...

Well, my sublet didn't end on July 31st, but on the 23 (which, in case you missed it, was the Sunday before). I'd been there 5 days past the end of the sublease and the tenant would probably be coming in the morning to move her stuff out. You want to talk about shock!

About an hour later, after emailing a lengthy apology, I'm frantically packing everything I own and she shows up at the door. I then realized that someone coming from two hours away would probably like to come down the night before to move out. As it was, out of the graciousness of her heart, I was given till the morning to be moved out. So that night I packed everything and dumped it at work and at the church, piling the rest into my car. At 3am I was done and at 7am the next morning the apartment was clean and I was out...without a place to go to.

So Saturday, after mass and praying for a LONG time, and feeling like a complete dork, I started looking for an immediate place to live. One of my friends offered her sofa and, although it eased my mind a great deal, I really didn't want to do that to her again (she was the one I first stayed with when the Lord brought me here in May).

That Saturday, I got a call from someone I'd been trying to contact about an apartment. She had a place available and was willing to sublet it for just a month. She was also able to let me move in that night as long as I don't mind being in a room filled with her stuff.

To make a long story short, the Lord did provide me with a place to stay for the next month, with two women in a townhouse basement apartment. It didn't look very pretty when I accepted it, but it's turned out rather nice. The girls are nice and the apartment is neat (as in moderately clean) and well built.

I thank the Lord that he provided again, I just wish he wouldn't keep waiting until the last minute. Perhaps it was so I would sign the lease for the place at the end of the month. Had I known last weekend that my sublet was up I probably would have taken the place I was looking at then, which was horrid, but available that weekend.

So what were the lessons in all of this chaos? First, I'm completely inept when it comes to remembering dates so I MUST mark on my calendar when my lease ends. The second lesson is that the Lord is able to provide for us, even when we are being complete bumbleheads. It seems we are not powerful enough, even in our stupidity, to trip up the Lord.

No comments: